Thursday, February 12, 2009

Breaking up is hard to do...

The displeased diva is back and with a vengeance! Can you believe that I have been... dare I say... happy?! Besides a few ups and downs, for the most part, I have been quite content, but good things certainly do not last forever. It was just a matter of time before I became quickly displeased about a given situation, so let me just jump right in.

Here's why I'm mad:

Today is February 12. It is two days before Valentine's Day and a lot of commotion has been going around about this day of love. Single women are lamenting about their singledom and couples are feeling the pressure to show up and show out on this particular day. Even my parents are going out!*

A few women who are single and out of love, will be harboring their lack-of-love issues on their other single girlfriends and will probably be living it up this weekend on an "I'm Every Woman" tour. Just in case the tour is sold out in a city near you, I am sure these women will be at home/the club/bar drinking their single sorrows away.

B, please.

You were single February 13. You will be single February 15. Chances are, you will probably be single every day after that too. February 14th is no different. Why then do you run yourself ragged on this particular day?

If you are in a relationship, by no means are you exempt from this post either. Many of you put a lot of pressure on your significant other to woo you on this day and for what? If your man loves you and you love him, then why do you need a holiday (besides your anniversary) to publicly show your love for each other?

Many of you might be thinking I am saying these things because I am single. For those who feel that way, I was never the mushy, emotional, lovey-dovey type. Ask anyone. As a matter of fact, ask my ex-ex-boyfriend. We did NOTHING for Valentine's Day. There was no reason to. We both knew how we felt. We did not need a day to give us permission to do something nice for each other. The best thing he did for me, well one of the best things, was take me to an Anita Baker concert... in December. Why did he do that? Just because.

Women, enjoy who you are 365 days of the year. You do not need a man to tell you you are loved. You do not need flowers and chocolate and jewelry to signify your worth. Love God, love yourself and love others (in that order) and everything will fall into place.

Peace

*In their defense however, my father is prone to giving my mother flowers just because it is Saturday and he felt like it, so he gets a "get out of Valentine's Day Free card", which can be cashed it on any V-day he deems necessary.

No comments: