Now that JB and I have figured out our wedding day, it was time for us to decide where we would have our nuptials. We thought it would be easy, but not so much- we were certainly not the Trumps! We had to make sure we found a place that was not only affordable, but gorgeous too. Also we wanted to make sure it was a good midway point between our respective locations.
We searched and we searched and we searched! And then we searched some more. It was hard for JB to come to some of the venues, so I drug my parents around town. Town after town, we looked at contracts, we talked to proprietors- "Is our date available? Is catering included? Do you offer any discounts?" Then after I ask my questions, they ask there's- "How many people are you expecting? Would you like a plated dinner or buffet? Dance Floor? Indoor? Outdoor?" Having that conversation once is not so bad, but six times? That is just too much!
Even with all that, I still could not decide on a place. I liked all the places we went to, but I did not love any of them. Then something happened. My mom and I went to an Open House at one of the venues we visited and met one of the brides there. She had just come from another venue and could not decide whether she wanted to have her wedding their or the one hosting the Open House. My mom and I heard about the venue she mentioned, but we never looked into it. So at 7:30pm- on a weeknight- we drove to another town to check this place out and we fell in love. It had everything we wanted; it was beautiful, affordable, and in a central location. Now, we just had to tell JB.
One of the things I love about JB and our relationship is that we know if we do not agree on something, then it is probably not the right choice. Being on one accord with your significant other is HUGE and we were determined to start that solid foundation during our engagement period. Going through this process put our accordance- if you will- through the test. This is the first time we had to make decisions about something significant that affected us. When the stakes are that high, you have to be on the same page or else it will not work. Thank God, JB and I are committed to making this work.
That following weekend, we made an appointment with the wedding coordinator at the reception hall so JB could get a good look at the place. He loved it as much as I did. We walked away ecstatic that we not only had our date, but we had our reception hall. Things were coming together quite nicely.
It is hard going through this process because after a while, things start to look the same. Your mind is processing the same information over and over and everything becomes redundant, but it is in that moment where you have to ask yourself, "What am I feeling?" If you are not feeling it, then it is not for you. If you like it, but you do not love it, you have to move on. JB and I have to make sure that whatever we decide, whether it is the date, the reception hall, the photographer- whatever- we BOTH love it and our hearts are committed to every single detail. After all, whose wedding is it, anyway? You would be so surprised how easy it is to forget that.
Next up- THE LIST!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment