I remember back in the day, when I was still living in Brooklyn, New York, my parents and I would watch the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants. We always rooted for Miss Jamaica and Miss America and would be ecstatic if either of them won. If neither of those persons won, but the winner was a minority, then we were happy about that too! As time passed, like it normally does, that tradition became lost on us. My mom still watches these pageants, but by herself. My dad and I just do not have the patience for it like we used to, I guess. We may inquire who mom wants to win, we may ask about who actually won (mainly to see if she was right), we may even see the evening gown competition, but we will not sit there dutifully in front of the TV screen like days of old.
Just because we no longer watch the show, does not mean the show must not go on. This year's pageant was like all the others, except something different happened...
Here's why I'm mad:
I walked into the living room where my mom was watching the Miss USA 2009 pageant. It was towards the end so I stuck around to see who won. For those who may have forgotten, or just did not know at all, the crown went to Kristen Dalton. Huh? What is that you say? Who is that? Why that is Miss North Carolina! Huh? What did you say? Oh!! (insert laughter here). No, Miss California did not win; she was the first runner up.
Yup, I made that mistake too. According to the official records and all the articles, Miss North Carolina took the Crown, but it was Miss California who took the spotlight. Miss Carolina's response to Perez Hilton's question regarding gay-marriage got a lot of feedback. Too much feedback. Then a ton of nude photographs magically appeared which put her Miss California title in jeopardy. This is too much for me for a contestant- after all, that is what she is. She did not win. Where is Miss North Carolina in all this? If I were her, I would be pissed because Miss California is definitely stealing her thunder.
We have a tendency to not see the forest for the trees. Let me put something in perspective- Miss California's response was controversial, yes, but it was not as bad of a blunder as another contestant in previous years who totally skipped geography in school. Nor was it as bad as a previous winner who was an alcoholic and a coke-head.
Stating one's opinion is nothing to write home about. Taking nude photos, accident or not, may be news-worthy, but for how long? When are we going to let Miss North Carolina start or get on with her duties as Miss USA instead of paying attention to the girl who did not win? Instead of Miss USA, Miss California is on the news circuit. Instead of Miss USA, Miss California is holding press conferences. She is like the Sarah Palin of the pageant world- you keep wondering when is she just going to go away?!
Miss California, your 15 minutes are up. As a matter of fact, they were up 15 minutes ago. Time to fade to black...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
LMAOOOOOO @ this one! Great! The Palin ref was awesome!
"Like the Iraq and such as, and the little children in Africa and the such as..." lmaoo..It was a Ms. Teen USA pageant where that hot mess of a situation took place..smh
In this day and age people find ways to keep their name in the spotlight. Most of the time the best way to do this, is to say or do something negative or controversial.
A good example is Nick Cannon and Emenem. Slim Shady says a couple of lyrics about Mariah Carey and Nick goes nuts saying all this crazy stuff and blogging. Who does this benefit? Emenem. People will now buy his album.
It is almost like a public relations tactic. You are right. I would be mad if I was Ms. North Carolina.
Post a Comment