Thursday, May 7, 2009

Spare the Rod...

You guys know the saying, "Spare the rod, spoil the child". There are many ways for parents to discipline their children; in order to avoid using the rod, parents are finding new and incentive ways to do so and still remain in control. We joke about how white parents fail to discipline their children, while black parents over-discipline theirs. Although sometimes true, this is also sometimes false. People, regardless of race, have their own way of doing things. I know white people who got their tail COOKED when they were younger and black children who do not relate to those experiences.

Madlyn Primoff's two daughters were fighting in the back seat of the car, when she told them to get out of the car as punishment. She intended to only go around the block, but when she returned, the girls were not there. You can find the full story here.

Here's why I'm mad:

Apparently, a lot of mothers are angry that Primoff would do such a thing to her children. I wholeheartedly disagree! The girls are 12 and 10. At that age, they are too old for beatings and time outs and grounding does not work all the time. I could and do understand Primoff's frustration at the squabbling siblings. If anyone has baby-sat children who proved to be a bit difficult, you know you want to A- beat the mess out of them, or B- call their parents and tell them to pick them up ASAP because if they do not, you will C- beat the mess out of them!

Worse than two squabbling siblings are two squabbling girls! Have you ever heard two girls argue? It is not a pretty sight. Shoot, I cannot even stand to see grown women argue. It is absolutely ridiculous. I am sure Primoff wanted to slam on the brakes and rip her hair out, but instead, she kicked them out the car. Say what you want, but it is called tough love. Deal with it.

I do not think it was her intention to leave them there for a long period of time. At times, parents do foolish things when they are at their wits end, but at no point do I think what Primoff did is worthy of all this attention. I know I was 10 years old going to the corner store by myself; I was 10 yrs old and left in the car by myself; shoot, I might have been 10 years old and still getting the brakes beaten off of me! Sad thing is, as bad as I may think I have gotten whooped, which really was not that bad, I am positively sure my parents got whooped WORSE!

Many of you may not agree with me, but that is fine. You do not have to; after all it is my blog. Who cares what you think? OK, OK, just kidding. I would love to hear what you guys think.

My opinion? We need to lighten up. No harm, no foul.

PS- I wonder if President Obama beats his kids?! If you ask me young Sasha looks like she could use a good whooping lol.

1 comment:

Dr. J said...

Obama doesn't beat those kids, but Michelle will break a stiletto off in Sasha's ass in a few years. Please believe me.

(Sorry for cussing)