I am not a Bible totting Christian, but I love the Lord something SERIOUS! I try not to write too much about faith/religion, but I had to get this one off my chest. In the Bible it says God has no concept of time- 1000 years to us is like a breath for Him. Although I am striving to be more Christ-like in my daily walk, I will be the first to tell you- I do not have that same concept of time. I need to make moves, I need to get on with my day. I do not need to speed through life, but goodness, can we speed through this song?!
Here's why I'm mad:
Gospel songs have become ENTIRELY too long! There have been plenty of times when I was in my car listening to Praise 104.1 (DMV, you know about that), changed the station, listened to a whole other song, gone back to Praise 104.1 and the same song was still playing! Really, though?! I am all for giving God praise, but for 8 minutes and 24 seconds? Dude, your praise has gone on long enough.
It is my personal opinion that many of these songs are long because these singers are monopolizing their time. Many gospel songs consist of a verse, chorus, maybe a second verse and a refrain. Most of these songs go downhill once we hit "the refrain". The refrain is usually a repetitive sentence sung by the choir, while the soloists ad libs. I love Hezekiah Walker, but he is one of the biggest culprits, along with Walter Hawkins, Fred Hammond, etc.
And if you think that is bad, do not let any of these songs be live!! You have now entered into the land of double digits. I have listened to CDs where a song will go on for 12 minutes, end, then start back up again! I am sure if you were at the concert, it would have been a great experience, but for a CD? You need to get the producers in quick to edit that joint.
While we are on the subject of taking too long, church needs a cap as well. We serve a God of order. The order of service needs to start ON TIME and end in a timely fashion. One should not go to church and feel like they just had an eight hour work day. Sometimes, it is permitted because the Holy Spirit will high jack the service and I am totally OK with that. Often times however, church, just like gospel songs, take too long because the pastor or the choir over does it. I am Baptist, but sometimes I think if only I could be a Catholic for a day- get in, get out, Hallelujah, Amen!
God loves our praise, as a matter of fact, He loves and wants nothing more than for us to worship Him, in Spirit and in Truth, but some of you are making a mockery out of Him. Do not allow alter call to go on for 30 minutes because someone did not come up. Do not brow beat; if your message was not well received, then move on. Do not show us your vocal prowess; we know you can sing. There is no need for the screaming and carrying on.
Be subtle, be humble, but more importantly, be quick!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
As a Haitian, I can definitely sympathize with you about long songs. Listening a song for 8 minutes...try dancing to it lol.
And I was raised Catholic. So I can't relate to the long church hours. I guess priests internalized my mantra..quality is better than quantity!
There is something to be said about the delta between reality and being surrounded in God. For a lot of people they tend to go on forever because their lives outside of church or outside of the gospel is horrible. I'm not sure if i'm being clear.
LMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Yo so true so true
Post a Comment