Friday, December 5, 2008

Giving Thanks

I love Thanksgiving. It is not my favorite holiday (Easter is), but it certainly is up there. Thanksgiving is a great holiday for many reasons. The abundance of food is the most obvious and for a Jamaican family like mine, it is the most important. This year we had an array of Jamaican dishes: mutton (curried goat), eschoviche fish, etc. We also had non-Jamaican food items as well like macaroni and cheese, potato salad, and coconut shrimp. There were all kinds of deserts- banana nut bread, ice cream cake, and of course pudding (it is not a Jamaican Thanksgiving without pudding or black cake).

Of course there are other reasons why this is a fantastic holiday. We are able to give thanks for our many blessings, for life, for family and friends, etc. The days off are not bad and can someone say "Black Friday"? But besides all this, the food is what most people look forward to! No expenses are spared for Thanksgiving dinner. It is hands down the biggest feast of the year.

Here's why I'm mad:

I had a stomach virus.

Need I say more?

No comments: