Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Baby Mamma's, Concubines, and Hoes...

If that title did not get your attention, then I messed up! This entry is about what you think, but it is not what you think. I just read an article from "the Root", which was very interesting, Confessions of a "Tiny and Toya" Addict. I have never seen the show, nor do I plan to. I saw Tiny accept an award on T.I.'s behalf and that was too much exposure for me.

Regardless of how you feel about the show and the main character, I think something should be said for the author's opening statement:

Admittedly, I was suspicious of news that Tameka “Tiny” Cottle and Antonia “Toya” Carter—concubines of hip-hop royalty, T.I. and Lil Wayne, respectively—were going to have their own reality show on BET: Was this BET’s answer to The Real Housewives of Atlanta? Did we really need to see The Baby Mamas of Bankhead? - Michael Arceneaux

Here's why I'm mad:

The term "concubine" REALLY offended me. No, seriously. It really did. Say what you want about these ladies, but I think of all the hip hop groupies out there, they do not really fit the bill. I do not know much about their personal lives, but from what I do know, these women were not blinded by the celebrity status of these artists and jumped on their coattails. No, these women were behind them from jump street.

Tiny had her own career and fame- no matter how long ago. Say what you will, but Xscape was a good group in the nineties and I think I would be hard pressed to find people who would not agree. Girls, you KNOW you were singing, "kick of your shoes and relax your feet...". Xscape was one the hottest girl groups out there that got us through middle and high school. I have not heard much from her since the group disbanded, but whether T.I was in the picture or not, people will say, "Oh yeah, that's Tiny from Xscape"! Not, "Hmph, that's T.I.'s jump-off". Correction, Tiny is T.I.'s fiancee and I think she at least deserves that respect instead of belittling her to "concubine" status.

Same with Toya. Toya was not famous but was with Lil' Wayne from high school. Remember, Lil' Wayne was in his teens when he first came out, so it should not be a shocker that he would be dating someone around that time too. They had a child and were married. Until now, she has remained silent and in the background- no one even knew she existed, which I think shows the real reason why she was in the relationship- not because she wanted the fame and the fortune, but because Lil' Wayne was her husband. Now she is a "baby mama of Bankhead". Toya is a divorcee, not an ex, but an ex-wife! There is a HUGE difference. One that should be noted.

You may think I am OD-ing and maybe I am, but as an engaged woman, I would hate for someone to refer to me as JB's concubine- which is really the intelligent word for mistress or whore. It is demeaning. Those terms should be saved for the superheads of the industry. No one would EVER call Beyonce Jay-Z's mistress, so why not afford these other women the same respect? Or is it because they are seen as ghetto and a bit classless why they cannot be deemed as such?

What do you think?

No comments: