In my previous post (Open Letter), I neglected to tell you all that my schedule has changed as well! I was offered the opportunity to change my work hours from 10-6:30 to 8:30-4:45. I decided on the latter in order to spend more time with my family (for reasons I will discuss in another post, so stay tuned).
Why is this relevant, you ask? Well, before my schedule change, I had the luxury of driving into work. Now I do not. I have to take the bloody train. DRATS!!
Here's why I'm mad:
Before I tell you why I am mad, let me tell you what is good about the train. I can actually relax and fall into a light sleep for 35 minutes instead of sitting in traffic during that time. I can blast my iPod, text on my phone-WAIT I have to stop right here. Did you know that the state of Virginia has made it illegal to text and drive?! The first fine is $20, the second is $50 and the third, well, I do not remember the third but point blank that is crazy! First it was illegal for teens, but not it is illegal for everyone... sheesh! So yeah, as I was saying, I can blast my iPod, text on my phone and just chill, but that is all that is good about the train.
One thing I have come to realize, especially in the summer, is that people stink. I am talking about the most rancid and putrid smell ever to offend my nostrils! It is extremely offensive because when you are trapped in a boxed car for 35 minutes, the air gets a thin... real thin. The only break is when the train opens its doors during a stop, but the relief (if any) is mild and goes unnoticed. Oh, and do not let the A/C go off in the train car. OOH EMM GEE!!!!! Then it just feels like you are sitting in a hot, sweaty dumpster truck. Ugh...
The other thing is people wear bags like they are going to school. Remember when you were in junior high school and you had to bring almost every single text book you had to school?! Now imagine grown adults doing that. Granted, some may very well be in school, but geez where do they get these bags?! One woman nearly PUMMELED me in my head with her hand bag. No, not a regular woman's hand bag. This is one of those huge shoulder bags used to carry books and all the items that are too large to fit into her purse (it resembles those re-usable grocery bags). I wanted to slap her, but I did the only thing I could d:, turn around and stare her down until she realized what happened and apologized (which she did).
And one last thing- getting into a subway car with no available seat or finding out the only available seat is the one next to you and having it filled by the biggest (wo)man in the universe- is just downright awful!! Please tell me I am not the only one that has happened to. I promise you, I sit on the train everyday with Ghandi-like patience because I feel like any day now, Ashton Kutcher is going to put my out of my misery and notify me that I have been punked. Or better yet, MTV is going to run out and tell me I am on their (cancelled) show Boiling Points and reward me monetarily for my troubles.
I do not know which of these offenses are the worst, but boy they certainly cook my goose! I am up to HERE with METRO's train system. I have a ton more issues, but this post is getting long. Look out for "Train Trouble II". As long as I keep riding the train, I have a feeling that post will be coming real soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment