Or so I have been told. I was watching the AMAs with my family on Sunday and for the most part, it was pretty good. I especially loved the last performance by Alicia Keys, featuring Queen Latifah and Kathleen Battle. I missed the Jonas Brothers and Beyonce, but I am pretty sure I did not miss much (I believe if you have seen one Beyonce performance, you have seen them all).
For the most part, everyone who won, deserved it. I do not think A.Keys, as much as I love her, should have won the first award she received for best pop/rock album. Since when is A.Keys pop or rock?
Anyway, all in all, it was a good night... Until I got into it with my family. The argument ended with my mother telling me, if I do not have anything good to say, then I should shut my mouth, which I did, right before I out of the room, fuming (she apologized later).
Here's why I'm mad:
I, like everyone else, am entitled to my opinions. I do not have to like or support all these people who have record deals. Just because a singer or artist is popular does not mean I too must join in with the opinion of the masses. I am not, nor have I ever been a fan of Beyonce, Rihanna, Brandy, Ashanti, or any of these other main street artists. That does not mean that I do not respect their talent (except for Rihanna who I feel does not have much, and Ashanti who does not have any), it just means that they are not my style.
In voicing my opinions on various artists, my family deemed me a hater. Oh well, fine by me. I will continue to not like Beyonce or Rihanna or whomever else. The people who I do like, I support. I am a picky eater. I am a choosy lover. And I am very particular about my music. People may not like the artists that I am fond of (Ne-Yo, Jazmine Sullivan, Sara Bareilles, Robin Thicke, etc.), but I would not venture to call them haters. The artists I like just are not their cup of tea. And I am fine with that.
If you feel because I do not like certain artists then I am a hater, fine go ahead. I will wear that hat proudly if it represents my refusal to lower my standards where music is concerned. I will continue to support artists who actually have talent, appreciate and take time to hone their craft.
You should probably think about doing the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment