Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pandemonium Pt. 2

We look up and we see an airplane that is almost too close and we are wondering to ourselves, OMG, is that the speaker?! If so, why are they just now arriving?! Then we realize it is absurd because where would the plane land? So now we are back to waiting and listening to the filler music until it is time.

At this point, my knees are giving in a bit. My back and legs hurt from standing so long (it is now 10PM). I have been craning my neck to see above the 80,000 people in front of me, so that hurts too. I cannot wait to go home and pop an aspirin. Wait, that seems too weak- I need vicodin for this one.

I am now mad at myself because I am being insensitive. I have been standing for a while, but I am imagining how the speaker must feel. If any one has a right to be tired, it is them. I suck it up and I deal. I also remember where I am, not physically, but historically. In this place and time, I do not want to be anywhere else.

It is 10:30 and Mark Warner comes on. He is then followed by Governor Tim Kaine. FINALLY, the moment we have been waiting for arrives. Barack Obama walks out and boy is the crowd "fired up!" I cannot see him very well, after all I am in the back and there are 80,000 people in front of me. Seeing him is of no consequence however. I can hear his voice. I can hear the dynamic influence he has on these people, including me. I can hear why he packs out stadiums wherever he goes. I can feel the intensity and the electricity that crackles through the crowd, which by this time, has reached 87,000. I am pretty sure the 7,000 were all behind me.

When Senator Obama concludes his speech, it is around 11:10. It is late; it is past children's bedtime and people have work and or class the next day. Yet, there is still an excitement and fervor that lingers.

It is time to go home and leaving is worse than arriving. The police block off all exits to ensure that Sen. Obama has left safely. You can see now more so than ever that the crowd estimate was pretty accurate. We walk back the mile and a half to our vehicle and we make our way home. It is 12:30AM when we walk into the house. We are tired, hungry and hurting, but it was all worth it.

Today I woke up at 6AM to wrap things up and hopefully garner a win in the state of Virginia for Senator Obama.

Today I woke up feeling particularly BLUE.

Today I woke up hopeful.

Today I woke up to vote.

Today, do your part.

Today, I did mine.

1 comment:

RLJ Photography said...

I love it!! And you thought i was lying bout my videograpy..i documented a 3 part series..going to the polls...voting in the both (whether) that was legal or not i did it) and the post vote.